Saturday

Truth of Degreelessness



Truth: One day in 1989, I was in this park:


View Larger Map

David Anderson ran up to me, Dave, Ronnie, and Jay and asked if I minded if he played football with us. I said "NO!" but meant yes (as in "yes, I do mind." <-- no, didn't figure that one out before I answered). David Anderson called me out on this, embarrassing me into reconsidering how even if his addition to our game meant an upset to our delicate team balance, it would only be the right thing to do since I technically said I didn't mind.

I grew up in a nominally Catholic family, went to CCD, church every week, even all-boys catholic high school (which if that didn't seal up my atheism, I don't know what did); but it was times like this one, extemporaneous, fleeting, that defined my applied moralism more than any religious nonsense.

David Anderson was on his way home and didn't even want to play football.

No comments: